What is ISTA?
ISTA stands for the “International Safe Transit Association”, a worldwide organization focused on developing standards, educational programs and tools for optimizing packaging solutions.
ISTA defines the testing protocols that must be performed to certify that different types of packaging can endure the foreseeable conditions they will encounter during transport. In so doing, ISTA has created a worldwide network of freight forwarders, shippers, manufacturers, test laboratories, and educational and research institutions to collaborate on maintaining, improving and updating protective packaging standards.
Why certify your packaging with ISTA?
The ISTA certification ensures:
- Visible proof of conformity of your packaging to internationally accepted test protocols as evidenced by the ISTA seal;
- Faster time-to-market for a competitive advantage, given the accelerating growth of e-commerce;
- That your product will be able to withstand shocks, vibrations, compression and extreme weather conditions as required by your specifications;
- Increased customer satisfaction by improving your company’s brand reputation.
Why turn to Grifal?
Grifal’s highly qualified experts are able to propose changes to current packaging and offer new solutions to make your packaging compliant with testing goals. Grifal’s ISTA certified laboratory is the only one in Italy to be able to perform over 20 testing protocols.
Specifically, the ISTA tests carried out by Grifal are:
- ISTA 1 – Preliminary analysis on performance testing of package sample during a normal cycle of transportation: A, B, C, D, E, G, H.
- ISTA 2 – Tests combining the basic elements of the tests in the ISTA 1 series, with more advanced tests of the ISTA 3 series on performance of package sample during a simulation of particular transportation cycles: A, B, C.
- ISTA 3 – Advanced sample packaging performance testing during a simulation of a particular transportation cycle: A, B, E, F.
- ISTA 6 – Tests specially created by ISTA in collaboration with the requesting members to meet specific purposes and applications: 6-Amazon.com-SIOC Type A/B/D, 6-FEDEX A/B, 6-SAMSCLUB.
The protocols that are part of the ISTA 1 SERIES, are considered “basic tests”, useful for an initial analysis phase of the packaging to be certified. The ISTA 3 SERIES tests are designed to simulate damage-producing motions, forces and conditions. ISTA 6 series protocols are those created in collaboration with specific ISTA members to meet their particular requirements.
Grifal can verify and certify the integrity and reliability of your product’s packaging. Learn all about ISTA’s test procedures!